Fredricka Whitfield is an American journalist and news anchor for CNN/U.S. She is an anchor on the weekend edition of CNN Newsroom.
Whitfield has been in the broadcasting career for more than 30 years. She was even nominated for an Emmys in 2000 for long-form storytelling.
Here’s more about Fredricka!
Top 27 Facts of Fredricka Whitfield
- Fredricka Whitfield was born on May 31, 1965, in Nairobi, Kenya as the daughter of Malvin Greston and Nola Simien Whitfield.
- Her father was the Olympic champion (1948 and 1952) in the 800 meters.
- Mal died at the age of 91 on November 19, 2015, at a Department of Veterans Affairs hospice in Washington DC due to heart disease and prostate cancer.
- She has three siblings, Nyna Konishi, Lonnie Whitfield, and Ed Wright.
- Since her father was a US diplomat, she lived in Somalia and other parts of eastern Africa as a child.
- Whitfield studied at the Paint Branch High School in Burtonsville, Maryland and graduated in 1983.
- She passed out of Howard University’s School of Communications in 1987 with a degree in Journalism.
- In 2002, she was named as the Howard Univeristy School of Communications Alumna.
- During her college days, she’s lived in France as an exchange student.
Married to John Glenn
- Fredricka Whitfield is married to her husband, John Glenn, since 1999.
- Her husband was the director of photography and Associate Editor at The Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Together, she and her partner have three children.
- Their eldest son was born in January 2005.
- Similarly, their fraternal twins, daughter Nola, and son, Gilbert Glenn, were born in November 2012.
Career in Journalism
- Whitfield’s journalism career started during her college days when she worked as a news anchor for campus radio station, WHUR.
- After graduating from college, she worked as a reporter and anchor at WPLG-TV in Miami.
- She has also worked for News Channel 8 in Washington D.C. as an evening anchor.
- In addition, she also worked for KTVT-TV in Dallas, WTNH in New Haven, and WCIV in South Carolina.
- She then went on to work for NBC News as the correspondent for NBC Nightly News for six years from 1995 to 2001.
- The mother of three has also anchored The Today Show and Dateline NBC.
- She joined CNN in 2002 and has been with them ever since.
- Fredricka has since reported the death of Ronald Reagan, Asian Tsunami of December 2004, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and even Hurricane Katrina.
- According to CNN, an average anchor (freelancer) makes around $40 thousand per year on the basis of their experience and tenure. Based on this, she might boast an estimated net worth of $2 million, but we can’t be so sure!
Diagnosed with Brain Tumor
- Fredricka was once diagnosed with brain tumor.
- She went to the doctors for check up but they couldn’t find anything and told her everything was fine.
- However, she insisted on doing more tests.
I said, ‘I know what feeling good is and I’m not feeling right.’Fredricka didn’t believe nothing was wrong with her. She insisted on doing more tests.
- Well, the doctors found the tumor. She had a minimally invasive surgery and recovered pretty quickly.
If we missed anything about Fredricka, do tell us through the comments section below. Until then, keep following Celebs Record.
More Journalists to Follow!