Jason Cope was a Guitar player for the American country music group, Steel Woods. He alongside Wes Bayliss co-founded the group.
Rowdy, as they called him, died at the age of 42. The news of their death was announced through Steel Woods‘ official Instagram post on January 16, 2021.
Here’s what you need to know about Jason!
Top 33 Facts of Jason Cope
- Jason Cope was born on March 15, 1978.
- He is the son of mother Joan Cope.
- His mother was a former kindergarten teacher at McDowell County School.
- He has two siblings, Ron and Bethany Cope.
- He is the grandson of a World War II Veteran, Clark Webb, who lived on till 102 years of age.
- Cope joined Musicians Institute Guitar Craft Academy in 2001 and graduated in 2003.
- He was a student of A.C. Reynolds High School.
- Jason passed away at the age of 42 on January 16, 2021.
- One of his male friends found him lying unconscious at his home on Erin Lane, Nashville on Saturday Morning.
- He knocked on the door but when Jason didn’t respond he entered by force only to find Jason unresponsive. He immediately called 911 but it was too late.
- Though there hasn’t been any revelation about his demise, it is believed by his bandmates that he died of complications in Diabetes.
- He was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2018 after he had overcome alcohol and PTSD.
- He had been taking good care of his health managing his diabetes.
The dude was like clockwork. He would eat his meals correctly and he wasn’t drinking. He was on top of that.Brent Cobb on how Jason managed his diabetes.
- Cope was only diagnosed with diabetes in 2018 when he took a hiatus from his band, Steel Woods, to treat his drinking problem.
- Since the disease was left unchecked for years, it is thought to have damaged his body eventually causing his death.
- Around the time of his demise, he had just started to teach guitar to kids.
- He was also working alongside his bandmates for their third studio album.
- The news of Cope’s demise was first announced on the official Instagram page of his band, Steel Woods.
- Wes Bayliss, vocalist of Steel Woods, couldn’t believe the news for a couple of days. “It’s one of those things, man, that I just didn’t believe it for a couple of days. It’s like trying to wake myself up from a dream.”
- On January 31, the band announced that they will carry Jason’s legacy forward.
It’s been a few weeks since Rowdy left us peacefully in his sleep and we want to say thank you to everyone for the heartfelt messages and posts. It is comforting to know how much of an impact he made on so many lives. Thank you for sharing those experiences with us.Steel Woods talk about Rowdy’s demise.
Steel Woods Band Formation
- Their band, Steel Woods, was founded by Jason Cope and vocalist, Wes Bayliss.
- They first met at a one-off gig in Nashville in 2015.
I didn’t really want to do the solo thing, which is what everybody moves to Nashville to do. So, when we met and Rowdy brought the idea of the Steel Woods, it was like music to my ears. I just wanted to be a part of a band and he was able to get his artistic side out.Wes on the idea of band formation.
- Wes and Jason spent a month fishing before finally starting to make music.
It just worked, his (Wes) voice and me doing my thing on guitar.Rowdy talking about the band formation.
- Wes looked after the vocals, Rowdy took over the guitars, Johnny Stanton played the bass, and Isaac Senty became the drummer.
- During Jason’s hiatus, Tyler Powers played the guitar for the band.
- After the guitarist’s demise, Tyler has taken over his role permanently.
There’s of course no replacing Rowdy, but [Powers] is really just what we need right now. He’s a killer player and I don’t foresee anyone else in that seat for a long, long time.Wes on replacing Rowdy with Tyler.
- Prior to forming their band, Jason was working with Jamey Johnson. He was with him for nearly a decade.
- Before that, he worked with guitarist Leroy Powell as a roaming performer.
Steel Woods Discography
- Steel Woods has been around for just around five years as of 2021.
- The band currently has three studio albums.
- Their first album was Straw in the Wind (2017).
- Their second album was called Old News (2019).
- Last but not the least, their last album, All of Your Stones came out on May 14, 2021, as a tribute to Jason.
If we missed anything about Alexis, do tell us through the comments section below. Until then, keep following Celebs Record.
More Musicians to Follow!
- 42 Facts to Know about When a Man Loves a Woman Singer, Michael Bolton!
- 29 Facts to Know about Sela Vave!