Alyson Hannigan is an American actor and TV host famous for appearing as Lily Aldrin in How I Met Your Mother and Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Alyson is currently married to her husband, Alexis Denisof, and has two kids, both daughters. Meanwhile, her net worth is estimated at a whopping $40 million as of 2021.
Let’s get to know more about the beautiful Alyson Hannigan!
Top 61 Facts of Alyson Hannigan
- Alyson Hannigan was born on March 24, 1974, in Washington D.C., the US to a Teamsters trucker, Alan Hannigan, and a photographer, Emilie Posner Haas.
- She was the only child of Alan and Emilie.
- Her parents broke up when she was two years old. Her mother raised her alone.
- She used to play clarinet during her junior high school.
- Hannigan attended North Hollywood High School prior to graduating from California State University, Northridge, with a degree in psychology.
- She was a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority since her college days.
Married to Alexis Denisof
- Alyson Hannigan walked down the aisle with Alexis Denisof, her Buffy the Vampire co-star at Two Bunch Palms Resort, Desert Hot Springs, California, on Saturday, October 11, 2003.
- Their wedding had choreographed dance routines, a photo booth, and even a trampoline.
- The duo met for the first time while shooting Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Denisof was brought into the show in the third season in 1999.
- Alyson was the first to make a move but Alexis didn’t want to get into a relationship courtesy of his previous breakup.
I was trying to pursue him, but he said he didn’t want to date somebody he was working with. We developed a great friendship and I started dating someone else.Alyson made the first move!
- But, when she started dating another man, her partner found it difficult. This was when things changed and the duo started developing feelings for each other. Finally, the pair started dating.
- They were never in a hurry to get married. “I took my mom’s advice and thought really hard about the whole thing — and didn’t marry until I was nearly 30.” The time finally came when Alexis proposed to her.
- While going to his mother’s house for Christmas, they stopped by a lake around Sonoma and Napa. Her partner started saying some beautiful things but he didn’t propose.
The whole time I am getting kind of frustrated, like, ‘Why does he always do this? He says the most romantic things and it would be the perfect way to propose and then he doesn’t propose.’Hannigan got frustrated because he just didn’t propose!
- When she didn’t think he would, he took out the ring and proposed to her.
And then, suddenly, he did. “I was like, ‘Huh?’” she said. “Everything in my brain just screeched to a halt. I wish I had TiVo, so I could rewind the whole thing. … It was a complete surprise. But I knew he meant it because he had a ring.”Alyson didn’t expect Alexis would propose!
- A year later, they got hitched and settled in Encino, Los Angeles.
- Her wedding was even featured on InStyle Magazine‘s February 2004 issue.
Renewed Vows During 10-Year Anniversary!
- During their 10th anniversary, they renewed their vows in Hawaii.
- Alyson revealed her plans to renew her vows through her Twitter saying, “My hubby @AlexisDenisof surprised me with the most romantic day of my life yesterday! Which included another proposal & ring! I said YES!”
- It’s already 2021 and has been 17 years of their marriage and yet, they find time for each other despite packed schedules.
We love being together and it just feels like part of my heart is gone when he’s gone.Alyson and Alexis just can’t get enough of each other!
- From their glorious married life, Alyson and Alexis have welcomed two kids, both girls from home births.
- The pair announced their first pregnancy around October 2008 and on March 24, 2009, welcomed their first child, Satyana Marie Denisof.
- Satyana shares her birthday with her mom! She is 12 as of 2021.
- Her first daughter was named after four days because her parents were busy debating over how to spell Satyana.
[When I got pregnant the first time] we thought of traditional names like Madeline. Then I went on name websites and realized how popular it was which made it go down in ranking. As the pregnancy progressed, the ideas became unique. I loved Satyana but we didn’t name her for four days because we were debating over how to spell it. I finally said [to Alexis], ‘We have to name her because I am tired of calling her baby girl.’It was hard for the first time parents to decide on their kid’s name.
- Alyson and her partner revealed their second pregnancy around Mid December 2011 and on May 23, 2012, welcomed their second daughter, Keeva Jane Denisof. She is 9 as of 2021.
- Check out Alyson’s interview with Yahoo where she talks about parenting!
- P.S. the pair is also the godparents of Joss Whedon’s son, Arden Whedon.
Began Acting at Age 4
- Alyson Hannigan started appearing in commercials at the age of 4.
- At 11, she moved to Hollywood with her mother and while attending high school, she started auditioning for roles.
- Her career as an actor started after her photographer mom used her whenever they needed a baby for a modeling job.
- Hannigan’s debut role was as Patty Stubbs in Impure Thoughts in 1986. But, her first major film was two years later, in 1988 in My Stepmother is an Alien.
- She then went on to appear in a number of movies and TV series before appearing in Buffy the Vampire Slayer in 1997.
- Two years later, she appeared as Michelle in American Pie.
- Meanwhile, her famous role as Aunt Lily in How I Met Your Mother came in 2005.
- As for her recent projects, she’s been appearing as Claire Clancy in Fancy Nancy since 2018.
Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- As already mentioned, Alyson started appearing in Buffy the Vampire Slayer in 1997.
- She portrayed the role of Buffy Summers‘ best friend, Willow for a total of 144 episodes till 2003.
- According to IMDB, she earned an estimated $8.7 million from her appearance in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- The same source also revealed that she had earned around $250,000 per episode in the last season (7th).
Michelle in American Pie
- After her appearance in Buffy, she was cast as Michelle in American Pie and its sequels.
- The producers originally wanted her to portray Heather but, she thought Michelle was funnier and went with her role.
- For the fourth and last American Pie sequel, American Reunion in 2012, she supposedly banked $3 million.
Lily Aldrin in How I Met Your Mother
- In 2005, Hannigan started appearing in How I Met Your Mother as Lily Aldrin.
- In the show that ran for 9 seasons till 2014, she portrayed the role of the wife of Marshall Eriksen played by Jason Segel. Professionally, she was a kindergarten teacher turned art consultant in the show.
- According to Craig Thomas, the HIMYM screenwriter, Lily’s character is based on his wife Rebecca Alson-Milkman, who is a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- When Craig told his wife, they are making a character based on her, she was freaked out but allowed him to do it only if Alyson played her role. Well, that’s exactly what happened and we got ourselves the beautiful Aunt Lily.
- From the show, she earned around $300 thousand per episode. According to Forbes Magazine, she earned a total of $8 million from the series in 2013.
Host in Penn & Teller: Fool Us
- Alyson has been appearing as the host of Penn & Teller: Fool Us since 2015 from its 3rd season.
- She replaced Jonathan Ross as the host.
My oldest daughter and I are huge fans of the show, so I am so excited to be hosting a program our whole family can watch together.Hannigan on hosting Penn and Teller’s show.
- She has now hosted a total of 76 episodes for the show.
Net Worth of $40 Million
- Alyson Hannigan is estimated to be worth a whopping $40 million as of 2021.
- She earned her fortune from her career as an actress and model.
- She’s also been on commercials for the likes of Head & Shoulders, MasterCard credit cards, Oreo Cookies, and so on and so forth.
|Movies||Roles||Budget||Box Office Collection|
|Do You Take This Man (2016)||Rachel||–||$144,471|
|American Reunion (2012)||Michelle Levenstein||$50 million||$235 million|
|Love, Wedding, Marriage (2011)||Courtney||$13 million||$515,823|
|Farce of the Penguins (2006)||Hottie Penguin (Voice)||$5 million||$6,832|
|Date Movie (2006)||Julia Jones||$20 million||$84.8 million|
|American Wedding (2003)||Michelle Flaherty||$55 million||$232.7 million|
|American Pie 2 (2001)||Michelle Flaherty||$30 million||$287.6 million|
|Boys and Girls (2001)||Betty||$30-$35 million||$25.8 million|
|American Pie (1999)||Michelle Flaherty||$11 million||$235.5 million|
|Dead Man on Campus (1998)||Lucy||$14 million||$15.06 million|
|My Stepmother is an Alien (1988)||Jessie Mills||$19 million||$13.8 million|
Note: The budget and box office details are collected from Wikipedia, Box Office Mojo, and The Numbers.
- In 2002, she and her husband bought a $1.96 million 4,200 square feet Spanish bungalow in Santa Monica, California. They put the house for sale for $5.1 million in 2018. Before that, they had also put up the house on rent for $17,500 per month.
- Hannigan had bought a penthouse in Atlanta in 2014 but she eventually listed the place for $1.349 million.
- In 2015, Alyson and Alexis purchased a home in Brentwood Hills for $7.89 million but sold it a year later for $8.15 million at a profit of $260 thousand.
- Similarly, in 2016, they bought a contemporary mansion in Encino for $7.95 million. This property had been up for sale for $8.499 million.
Some More Facts
- Hannigan has a tattoo of tribal dolphins on her ankle. She also has a tattoo of a cartoon turtle on her left foot. Similarly, on her back, she has a Japanese kanji tattoo for luck and happiness.
- She is 5 feet 4 inches tall.
- Her maternal grandparents are Jacob Posner and Dorothy Mendel.
- While her father has Irish ancestry her mother comes of Russian Jewish origin.
- She was voted #42 on Ask Men’s Top 99 ‘Most Desirable’ Women in 2012.
If we missed anything about Alyson, do tell us through the comments section below. Until then, keep following Celebs Record.
More Celebrity Partners to Follow!
- 34 Facts to Know about Russel Peters’ Ex-Fiancee, Ruzanna Khetchian!
- 20 Facts to Know about Antonio Banderas’ Ex-Wife, Ana Leza!
More Actors to Follow!